At 10:16 AM 3/5/99 -0800, you wrote:

>  Hey all,
>
>  I've been thinking about picking up a home CD Recordable unit.  Does
>anybody out there own one, or have you heard of a particular
>brand/model that is supposed to be good?  Does the quality vary alot
>between brands?  Also, is there any audible difference between getting
>a home unit (stereo component) and buying one for a computer with the
>intent of duping music?
>
>  thanks -- Shawn

If you the thought of having to go beyond 'Plug 'n Play' doesn't frighten
you, a computer CD recorder is the way to go. Besides the difference in
price for media noted in Jon's reply, the hardware for stand alones is more
expensive as well and not nearly as versatile. Stand alones won't create
CD-ROMs, for example. I've have my Plextor 4/12 for just over a year now,
and have burned over 150 CDRs without any major problems, and I highly
recommend it. Plextor has an excellent reputation for quality and customer
service, but they are also among the priciest. If you don't mind rooting
through a lot of pointless debate, the comp.publish.cdrom.hardware is an
excellent starting place for more information.