On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Brad Bechtel wrote:
> If you own a Mac, I'd recommend getting a copy of Adaptec Toast (version
> 3.5.6 is the most current).

Heartily seconded.  I picked up a La Cie 4x write/8x read CD-R unit for my
Mac last week, and Toast (along with the Audio Extractor) is *really* easy
to use.  I've already done a full set of system backups, as well as burned
a custom audio CD or two.  All of them were easy and fast, with no
problems at all.

Making an audio CD, in fact, took less than an hour- you capture each
individual track to your hard drive (which takes about 30 seconds per
track, because computer CD/DVD drives read at a much higher speed than the
audio CD standard) and then write the CD once all the tracks are captured
and put in the proper order.  Nothing to it.

CD-R drives aren't super cheap (mine was under $300 with a 10-pack of
discs), but I'm thoroughly impressed with mine, and the backup capability
alone is worth the price.

Tom