At 10:16 AM -0800  on 3/5/99, Shawn Devlin wrote:

>  I've been thinking about picking up a home CD Recordable unit.  Does
>anybody out there own one, or have you heard of a particular
>brand/model that is supposed to be good?  Does the quality vary alot
>between brands?  Also, is there any audible difference between getting
>a home unit (stereo component) and buying one for a computer with the
>intent of duping music?

You can read the huge FAQ at www.fadden.com/cdr. (If I've gotten that
wrong, someone please say something.) I don't know if it has anything
about the stereo component units, but I can't imagine there's much
audible difference between those and CDRs for your computer. (Though
that FAQ makes the point that the error correction algorithms may
ensure that it never sounds the same way twice anyway.)

I've got a Yamaha 4416 and like it quite a bit. Although it's a CDRW
unit, it seems to have trouble with some CDRW blanks. But it's
succesfully burned every normal CDR blank I've tossed into it,
including generic cheapos. (You can't play CDRWs anyway -- they're only
useful for backing up data, not for music.)

Bob