> In one respect, I'd add, Postcard 2 works as a sort  of backlash
>receptacle for many people who are shit-sick of hearing about UT, Wilco,
>etc.

Frankly, I'm shit -sick of hearing that my appreciation for UT, Wilco, etc.
is just some youthful infatuation that I'll get over when I grow up and
realize that alt.country was around before 1990. I can call my parents when
I need to be patronized.

I'm shit-sick of the implication that rabid fans of UT, Wilco, etc. lack
"perspective" on the history of country-rock and its periodic resurgences
(as if that really is necessary), that their love of these bands is faulty
if not broadened by an understanding of country-music history (and
alternative-country history).

I'm shit-sick of the way reaction against the media-hype surrounding these
bands slides so effortlessly into nasty backlash against the bands
themselves.  While I'm at it, I'm also shit-sick of the suggestion that
these bands' popularity was purely a media creation, and that they had no
merit on their own beyond the myopic adulation of the music press.

And I'm shit-sick of people blaming these bands for the lack of attention
paid to earlier alt.country performers. Uncle Tupelo causing other acts to
be "'disappeared' from rock/country history" (to use Cheryl's phrase)?
Please.

Todd
(Joined Postcard in 1994 as an Uncle Tupelo fan.
Knew pretty much nothing else about country music or alt.country music.
Spent the last five years trying to learn. Spends all money buying CD's
recommended by Don Y. and Jon W.
Still thinks Uncle Tupelo is among the best two or three bands ever.
Someday may grow up and know better.)