Neal wrote:

> Well I'd like to think that I championed UT and much of it's related offshoots
> (SV's a bore at this point) in the press without the blind devotion to press
> releases. Besides, I don't know what press releases or hype machine were ever
> really behind UT to begin with, at least not until they were signed to Warner
> (which was only one album) and on the Wilco/SV projects since. I think they
> cultivated their small-but-mighty 60,000 sales fan base by making great
> records and playing their hearts out in piece-of-shit clubs every night in
> every town.

I should've been more clear -- I meant the wave of articles that
accompanied SV and Wilco's first records. Seems like every article
had so many of the same phrases (anyone remember "rising like a
phoenix from the ashes of UT...."?), and so many of them credited
UT with starting the whole damned thing. And I should also clarify
that I'd never lump excellent writers like Neal in here, but rather the
kinds of folks who make us scratch our heads when we read them
(and we know that's happened countless times, including some of
the articles Phil has phorwarded from major papers).  And yeah, I'd
agree on how UT built their fan base -- again, I'm talking about
articles that looked backwards and nominated UT as the
originators without acknowledging those that accompanied them,
let alone those that came before them.

> Blame me then, because I'd say UT *did* start the 90s version of
> the roots rock/alt.country/whatever scene, or at least played a
> huge part in its vitality. ...When I look back on the 90s and the
> *rock*-country associated with it, no doubt UT will be one of the
> main touchstones, if not *the* touchstone.

Sure they played a huge part, and sure they're one of the
touchstones, but "*started* it?" No way.

Never trust a Dodger fan,
Dave

***
Dave Purcell, [EMAIL PROTECTED]