<<...I placed all my blame on writers who can't seem
 to do anything but regurgitate press releases, and I thought Terry,
 etc., were also blaming the hype machine, and no one else.>>

Well I'd like to think that I championed UT and much of it's related offshoots
(SV's a bore at this point) in the press without the blind devotion to press
releases. Besides, I don't know what press releases or hype machine were ever
really behind UT to begin with, at least not until they were signed to Warner
(which was only one album) and on the Wilco/SV projects since. I think they
cultivated their small-but-mighty 60,000 sales fan base by making great
records and playing their hearts out in piece-of-shit clubs every night in
every town.

 <>

Blame me then, because I'd say UT *did* start the 90s version of the roots
rock/alt.country/whatever scene, or at least played a huge part in its
vitality. Not consciously of course, it's not like they sat down and planned
this (duh), but because they have made what I consider some of the most
effecting, passionate and original twang rock of the decade, thus inspiring
several others (often former punk rockers and/or college boys) to *try* to do
the same. When I look back on the 90s and the *rock*-country associated with
it, no doubt UT will be one of the main touchstones, if not *the* touchstone.

Jeff's cuter than Jay,

Neal Weiss