Nancy Apple writes:

>How do artists plan to get away with this. Remember what happened to
>ELO. They sure end up looking like fools if the DAT fails.....

     Unfortunately, when something like this happens once or twice, the
public tends to be "innoculated."  The Milli Vanilli fiasco wouldn't be
such a big deal nowadays if the same thing happened again with, say, the
Backstreet Boys or some similar act.  Unfortunately, technology makes it
easier and easier to cheat.
     One of my favorite stories along these lines is from an interview
with the Boston-area bar band the Fools around 1980 or so.  When their
first album came out they opened up for part of a tour for Toto, who
apparently had a second vocalist backstage who would sing the high notes
that their singer could hit in the studio but couldn't do on a regular
basis live.  The Fools used to piss on the guy's shoes as a joke while he
was hitting those high notes, just to try to screw him up.
                                --Jon Johnson
                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                   Wollaston, Massachusetts