I'm finding this debate very interesting. One reason that I've never actively
pursued playing live music in Ithaca is the fact that I've been the local
music writer since 1992. In a small town like this, I've always felt that if I
started trying to get gigs for myself or a band, it would more difficult to
cover shows at local clubs and write about other bands. And would I be able to
write about myself (if I had a legitimate reason) in my weekly column?
Probably not...

As far as getting close to musicians I write about, I have to say that this
has been the best part of my music writing career, both locally and
nationally. As someone said, this isn't political journalism, so I don't think
there's any real harm in writing about someone you know and like, or liking
someone that you write about.

That said, I must admit that I avoided talking to Johnny Dowd for several
years after I first saw in back in 1991. I didn't want to destroy his what I
perceived as his "cool aura" by actually talking to him in person, even though
I would constantly see him around Ithaca. Of course, about two and half years
ago, I finally got around to interviewing for the cassette release of "Wrong
Side of Memphis," and found that he's even cooler now that I actually know
him. So did that make it unethical for me to write about him for No
Depression, or for that matter, hire his moving company when I bought my new
house? I don't think so.

Jim Catalano
Who's also wondering if it's unethicial to review Bad Religion albums when I
play hockey with Greg Graffin...