I'm counting on everyone to stop wishing alt-country will "blow open,"
     since the continual frustration of that hope seems to me to be causing
     some of the genre's stalwarts to falter a bit. There'll be events like
     Lucinda's much-hyped (but not so much bought) 1998, but I think the
     key is the demographic point someone previously made - it is in fact a
     glass ceiling that's set at about knee level.

     Though this is a drag for working musicians, for fans it's not really
     so bad - the constant obsession with judging musical success by huge
     sales numbers seems parallel to me with the tendency to judge politics
     by polls, movies by box office, and justice by corporate dividends.

     Here's my 1999 slogan for alt-country/Americana - The Back To "No
     Future" Music - "The Past is Now."

     carl w.