>     I'm counting on everyone to stop wishing alt-country will "blow open,"
>     since the continual frustration of that hope seems to me to be causing
>     some of the genre's stalwarts to falter a bit. There'll be events like
>     Lucinda's much-hyped (but not so much bought) 1998, but I think the
>     key is the demographic point someone previously made - it is in fact a
>     glass ceiling that's set at about knee level.
>
>     Though this is a drag for working musicians, for fans it's not really
>     so bad - the constant obsession with judging musical success by huge
>     sales numbers seems parallel to me with the tendency to judge politics
>     by polls, movies by box office, and justice by corporate dividends.
>
>     Here's my 1999 slogan for alt-country/Americana - The Back To "No
>     Future" Music - "The Past is Now."
>
>     carl w.

Hey!  Don't forget that by most definitions I'm a weasel and if I don't
figure out how to help them sell millions I'll never get my private jet or
be able to afford several trophy wives.

But seriously, nobody's judging success only by sales.  Hell, I would
jumped into hip-hop a long time ago if I thought that way.  What I  AM
interested in doing is getting some bona fide geniuses as much success as I
believe they deserve and maybe preserve a great musical tradition that is
being bastardized as never before.