On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Don Yates wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Jon Weisberger wrote:
>
> > The definite oldies are "I've Got A Right To Cry" (Hank Jr.), "Give
> > Myself A Party" (Don Gibson), "Trademark" (Carl Smith), "Falling,
> > Falling, Falling" (Ray Price).  I assume that the Newbury and Bryants
> > tunes are not new, but I dunno who the original performers would be.
>
> The Newbury tune was a minor hit for Gibson.  The original version's
> pretty swell, but Mandy tops it.  "I'm Gonna Change Everything" is an old
> Jim Reeves song.  "Who (Who Will It Be)" and "The Whispering Wind (Blows
> On By)" are both new ones written by the same songwriters (L. Russell
> Brown and Pat McLaughlin).  *Someone* here has to know who did the
> Boudleaux and Felice song ("Don't Forget To Cry").  Margasak sez "With My
> Eyes Wide Open I'm Dreaming" is an old pop tune, so we'll take his word
> for it.  That leaves "Mistakes" (Edgar Leslie/Horatio Nicholls) and "Ever
> True Evermore" (Kermit Goell/Theodore Rhodes).  If I was to stereotype
> songwriter names, I'd suggest they were both written by old-school pop
> songwriters.--don

And it looks like I was right: "Ever True Evermore" was recorded by Patti
Page (as was "With My Eyes Wide Open I'm Dreaming"), and "Mistakes" was
recorded by Vera Lynn.  That means we've managed to figure out the sources
for all of her obscure covers, 'cept for that damn Boudleaux and Felice
tune.  I thought it might be easy to track that one down, but then I took
a look in the BMI on-line database at all the songs written by the Bryants
-- good god!  I knew the Bryants were pretty damn prolific, but they were
songwriting machines!--don