At 15:26 24.04.99 -0500, you wrote:
>Tom Ekeberg wrote:
>

>> Seeing the sense in which Bob Dylan don't know how to sing shouldn't be too
>> hard.
>
>This is what I actually disagree with. Not being able to sing very well
>and not knowing how to sing are two different things.

Okay. That's what I meant. I shouldn't have used the word "know". And I
would like to point out that I didn't say whether not knowing how to/being
able to sing was a good or a bad thing.

>I think Dylan made
>amazingly effective use of a very indifferent vocal apparatus, thus I
>think that he knows very well how to sing, he just doesn't have the
>larynx to pull it off very well.

Like I said, true in some sense, false in some sense. Obviously Dylan knows
what he's doing when he's singing.

I agree with the examples Joe used in the rest of his post too. I would
have to think closer about the Elvis part though. I sometimes feel that he
doesn't sing as well as an Elvis should, but I have not tried to analyze
what it is that gives me this feeling.

But I still say that Dylan doesn't know how to play harmonica (in some sense).

I hope this answers Roy's question too.

Tom Ekeberg
Oslo, Norway
http://home.sol.no/~tekeberg/