Terry Carmen wrote:
Hello,

I've been trying to setup postfix with tls and smtp auth (dovecot sasl).
I'm now stuck with the smtp auth part, with a strange error. For a few
days I've tried to search information about similar problems, but found
none. Now I'm hoping somebody here could help me out. I'm running Ubuntu
Jaunty on AMD64.

I've disabled tls (and a lot of other options, and not running in a
chroot jail) for now. The problem is, that as soon as I enable smtp auth
in postfix (smtpd_sasl_auth_enable), smtp stops working. When doing

bash:# telnet localhost 25
Trying ::1...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm guessing that something in the mix isn't properly configured for IPv6.

I's probably configurable, but unless you really need IPv6, I'd suggest just
disabling IPv6 in your network stack, commenting out any IPv6 references in
Postfix and trying again.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the suggestion. Should've been more clear originally, but I already had tried that. And I now tried it again, to no avail (ie. commenting out the 'inet_protocols = all', and dropping the ipv6 loopback from my 'mynetworks'). So doesn't seem to be an ipv6 issue as I understand.

For reference, I had to enable ipv6 in postfix, since the new Ubuntu Jaunty has ipv6 compiled into the kernel as opposed to being a module. And there seems to be no way of disabling it. And the fetchmail package distributed with jaunty barfs, if ipv6 is enabled in the system, but not in postfix.... at least, this seems to be the case.

br, juhis

believed to be clean.