Timo Sirainen wrote:
On Apr 26, 2009, at 11:58 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

smtpd_sasl_path = private/dovecot
..
I can see the private/auth socket created when dovecot starts, with postfix:postfix permissions. Also, netstat shows it:

bash:# netstat -ln | grep dovecot
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 111791 private/dovecot

I don't see it there. What is that private/dovecot anyway? Maybe netstat -lnp | grep dovecot would have shown the socket though.

Oh. That's actually it. Dovecot is listening on private/auth, but Postfix is connecting to private/dovecot. But what is listening on private/dovecot then? You've added some kind of a "dovecot" service to master.cf?

Doh! I can't believe I've missed that, don't know how many times and hours I've spent staring at the config files.... feeling a bit stupid atm... ;)

Thanks Timo for spotting it, much appreciated! And Victor was right in his answer, the
'private/dovecot' showing in netstat is indeed a pipe transport.

THANK YOU!!!

juhis

p.s. everythings working now wrt. my dovecot&postfix co-existence.