Hello,

We have discovered an issue in our postfix configuration that appears to
limit the amount of recipients permitted in a single message to 100.

The issue exhibits itself in the form of our application receiving a
timeout message after the 100th RCPT TO command and I have reproduced this
using the Thunderbird mail client which also fails with a similar error [1].

I have read various documents and from what I can gather there is a process
limit which defaults to 100 and also, according to the Tuning Guide the
smtpd_recipient_limit option configures “The maximal number of recipients
that the Postfix SMTP server accepts per message delivery request.”

So I have a couple of questions;

1)    Why is a message with multiple RCPT TO addresses apparently limited
by the lower process limit value and not the smtpd_recipient_limit value?

2)    Assuming that the OS [2] is configured correctly to allow a higher
process limit and can cope with the load, are there any other negative
implications of raising this limit to, for example, 1000, 5000 or 50,000?
I.e. do I need to worry about overloading my clients mail servers?  I see
that delivery limits are configured elsewhere so I don’t think this will be
an issue so I’m just checking.

We do need to send bulk notifications to our clients so I’m looking for as
high a value I can sensibly set which I can then pass on to our development
team.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

[1] Thunderbird error message.
Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server
(SMTP) my.email.server timed out. Try again.

[2] OS & Postfix version.
mail_version = 2.3.3
Linux my.email.server 2.6.18-400.1.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 00:58:32 EST
2014 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux