>> We have discovered an issue in our postfix configuration that appears to
>> limit the amount of recipients permitted in a single message to 100.
>
>This is not the case by default.

I thought it must be but what I'm seeing corresponds to a limit of 100
somewhere, false theory debunked thanks.

>    Perhaps you're sending invalid recipients and triggering error
>    delays.  Or you have a slow virtual alias table lookup table
>    (SQL, ...) and by the 100th recipient the pipeline between
>    smtpd(8) and cleanup(8) stalls because cleanup recipient
>    rewriting is not keeping up. ...

Interesting, I'll see what info I can find on this.  As you might see from
the logs I've just submitted (http://pastebin.centos.org/36256/,
http://pastebin.centos.org/36261/) I was using mailinator addresses to test
which I believe just accepts mail to its domain.

>    Which determines the maximum number of possible concurrent SMTP
>    connections, not the number of recipients per message.

Again, makes perfect sense.

>> and also, according to the Tuning Guide the
>> smtpd_recipient_limit option configures “The maximal number of recipients
>> that the Postfix SMTP server accepts per message delivery request.”
>
>    You're making this part up.  It is simply not true.[

Not made up!  Quoted from
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_limit

>This sounds like a timeout making a connection, not a timeout
>mid-connection.  Was Thunderbird configured to make a separate
>connection for each recipient?  Is this some sort of "mail-merge"
>application with personalized messages to each recipient?

Connection is timed out after the 100th RCPT TO according to the tcpdump
log http://pastebin.centos.org/36261/
I'm not sure if Thunderbird is  configured this way I'll have to dig into
this but it doesn't seem so based on the SMTP conversation in the packet
trace.

>smaller personal mail-servers.  Beefier servers with lots memory,
>CPU, disk and network may well be able to handle 1000 or more
>concurrent connections.
>
>That said, your sending software does not benefit from opening a
>huge number of connections, around 20 is usually quite enough for

Getting pretty convinced now that this is not a multiple connection issue
I'll have to dig into how to print anvil stats to see if I can prove it.

Thanks,

Matt