Viktor Dukhovni:
> The limit of 100 worked well in 1997, and still works well on
> smaller personal mail-servers.  Beefier servers with lots memory,
> CPU, disk and network may well be able to handle 1000 or more
> concurrent connections.

Email server performance is primarily limited by file system metadata
performance.  Disk seek times haven't improved by 100-1000x, unlike
memory, CPU, or network. And email messages haven't become 100-1000x
as large, so performance is still dominated by metadata.

The only major improvement in file system metadata performance is
due to availability of affordable SSDs that eliminate metadata seek
delays. I don't know that it is time to make SSDs an implicit
requirement for using Postfix.