We use the Cutedge LaunchDaemons to start postfix and SMTP at boot time. I
don't use it to configure postfix (although I could); I just edit the files
(very rarely up until this past week).

> IIRC from an earlier post of yours, you're using OS X Server

Yes, on the internal IMAP/POP server. Not on the gateway SMTP toaster.

We have multiple machines. One handles port 25; the other handles all other
ports.

Mail from the Internet hits the gateway box where RBL testing and local
recipient checks are done. The remaining 1 or 2 % of incoming mail is then
relayed to the internal server for delivery.

> Considering how (as I understand it) Apple likes to keep the guts of their
> server products hidden

Nah. X Server has a lovely GUI, but the actual programs are still easily
accessible from the command line in all their text-based con file glory. I
still love them for that. The only gotten is that it's best to start/stop the
daemons using the GUi.

Fwiw, I'm also currently running Cutedge MailServe on the internal server (due
to issues with OS X Server's included anti-spam). If I can get Spam checking
working reliably on the gateway box, I can go back to OS X Server handling mail
delivery internally. As long as I turn off OS X Server's Mail section, they
don't compete.

> On Nov 19, 2015, at 14:58, Larry Stone <lston...@stonejongleux.com> wrote:
>
> Vicki, I long ago used Cutedge's product to get me going with Postfix. As far
> as I know, their product is designed to get Postfix (and Dovecot) set up on a
> "Client" version of OS X (that is, not OS X Server). Yet IIRC from an earlier
> post of yours, you're using OS X Server. Considering how (as I understand it)
> Apple likes to keep the guts of their server products hidden (as well as
> making non-standard changes to them), I suspect mixing the two is not a good
> idea.
>
> -- Larry Stone
>   lston...@stonejongleux.com

-- Vicki Brown