> On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 10:31:47 -0700
> li...@lazygranch.com wrote:
>> ‎This seems counter intuitive. So I am better off having a catch-all
>> account that random emailers will fill up than not having one?

"It Depends."

Who cares if it's counter-intuitive.
It's Observed Behavior.
And in this case, even you have observed it.

It's been a technique in active use for two decades.

> No!  Even though you don't have to have a mailbox to fill up (you can
> direct catch-all to /dev/null) this is still a bad idea.  If someone
> sends you an important message at li...@lazygranch.com it will be
> silently ignored.  If you don't have a catch-all the message will
> bounce and the sender will realize that he made a typo and resend it.

This fails badly for many security and privacy reasons if you are doing
anything other than running a personal, vanity domain.

But like many techniques, there are pros, cons, and trade-offs.
Your Mileage *WILL* Vary.

Aloha mai Nai`a.
--
" So this is how Liberty dies ...          http://kapu.net/~mjwise/