> FWIW, I rather have the wrong address email address bounce. That and I
> don't want to eyeball the catch-all to see if it caught anything useful.

Here's the thing.

If you have a catch-all address, and something gets delivered to it ...
who looks at it and fishes it out and sends it to the right user?

It's a *MASSIVE* privacy issue.

If there's an SSN in there, or certain other kinds of protected
information (HIPAA? Shouldn't be, but...), even if it's the domain admin,
It could be Extremely Bad.

> You can fail2ban the password guessers.

They'll just keep coming.
Fail2ban is a wonderful tool.
It doesn't scale if million-node botnets are the ones attacking.
Just saying.

If you're running a very small system, they'll poke around a bit and move
on. If you're running a very LARGE system, they will hammer at you
mercilessly.

> In a perfect world, I would reject email that fails SPF and DKIM.

That's a good thing to do now... or at least greylist it.
DKIM validation at the edge (End of Data) is expensive at scale.

> I recall noise from Google making this a plan, which that would force
> all the servers to clean up their act.

They are certainly doing this for all of IPv6, and I think possibly all of
IPv4 at this point, but I am not certain.

Which reminds me ... :)

Aloha mai Nai`a.
--
" So this is how Liberty dies ...          http://kapu.net/~mjwise/