Hi,

I have noticed than postfix-install script explicitly adds
shlib_directory to the main.cf file e.g. during non-interactive install.
Is there any reason why such approach is better than relying on
compiled-in default value? PACKAGE_README.html suggests to provide small
main.cf file.

My concern is that main.cf is marked as config files e.g. in RPM
packages, so if administrator touched it than file content is preserved
during package upgrade. If an alternative package is built without
support of shared libraries or with different value, it requires a
dedicated action to configure proper directory in post-install scripts.
Am I wrong that everything should just work if shlib_directory
is mentioned neither in original package nor in its update?

I expected something like

if [ "$shlib_directory" = "`bin/postconf -c conf -d -hx shlib_directory`" ];
then
       bin/postconf -c $CONFIG_DIRECTORY -# "shlib_directory" || exit 1
else
       bin/postconf -c $CONFIG_DIRECTORY -e "shlib_directory =
$shlib_directory" || exit 1
fi

Sorry, if I missed discussion of this point.

Thanks