Wietse Venema:
> Maxim Nikulin:
>> of shared libraries. If shlib_directory were absent in main.cf
>> and all programs were getting the value from postconf instead of
>> reading main.cf directly than package upgrades would be smooth.
>> Such way is not viable since there are installations
>> with explicit shlib_directory across the world.
>
> There is no such thing as 'getting the value from postconf instead
> of reading main.cf', because the postconf command reads main.cf.

The value could be missed in main.cf. From my point of view
it looks like compiled-in defaults that could be *reliably* obtained
from postconf but not from main.cf directly. From your words I suspect
some things that I am not aware of.

    grep --count shlib_directory /etc/postfix/main.cf
    0
    postconf shlib_directory
    shlib_directory = /usr/lib64/postfix

This case I intentionally removed shlib_directory line from main.cf.

> If possible do not mix new installs and updates. In particular,
> with updates one would not expect to change the location of queue,
> config, and data files.

I see, but some cases could be more complicated. Upgrade could
be performed from a version installed from different repository
so having significantly different settings. In ultimate cases
post install script could move files to another location
so preferences should be changed accordingly.

I am just trying to find balance between reliable upgrade and degree
of allowed customization. E.g. if shlib_directory is responsibility
of server administrator or of maintainers of packages. It appeared
that setting this particular parameter during first install only could
cause problems. That is why my question if it could be omitted emerged.

I feel that I have consumed too much of your time already. Thank you
for your answers, some things become more clear.