Wietse Venema:
> Maxim Nikulin:
>>
>> I have noticed than postfix-install script explicitly adds
>> shlib_directory to the main.cf file e.g. during non-interactive install.
>
> Postfix records all installation settings in main.cf even if they
> are at their built-in defaults. That is because defaults change
> over time, and I don't want things to break when people upgrade to
> a newer release. Thank you for not blowing away existing config
> files. You're expected to run "postfix upgrade-configuration"
> instead.

Just to avoid any ambiguity, you suggest that package post install
script should have something like the following, don't you?

postfix upgrade-configuration \
    shlib_directory=/usr/lib...

That sounds reasonable. RedHat package contains a call
to upgrade-configuration however without shlib_directory,
in Debian package I have not noticed it at all.

Concerning changed defaults, I expect that package manager
should ensure through dependencies and conflicts that consistent
set of files is present in the system and actual location
files is the same as built-in values. Vice versa I faced
an upgrade problem with diverged explicit value in config
and real paths in new packages. But you are right, it happened
due to absence of proper upgrade-configuration call.

> As for shlib_dir in main.cf:
>
> shlib_dir not only specifies at BUILD time the location for
> libpostfix-*, information that the runtime linker needs to use to
> start a Postfix program, before any Postfix program can look up
> settings in main.cf.

I feel come confusion here. postconf -d shlib_directory reports
expected build-time value. Do you mean components that reads
main.cf directly instead of query to postconf? Presence or absence
of explicit shlib_directory in main.cf does not help in the case
of problem with library load paths.

> You mention the PORTING document. It likely needs updating, as it
> was last updated in 2004, about 10 years before I adopted support
> for dynamic linking in Postfix 3.0.

Are you using "PORTING" as a nickname for "Guidelines
for Package Builders"? PACKAGE_README file has modification time
in 2015, do not know if it was a significant update.

Thank you for the valuable hint, "postfix upgrade-configuration" is
almost certainly what I am looking for.