Maxim Nikulin:
> Hi,
>
> I have noticed than postfix-install script explicitly adds
> shlib_directory to the main.cf file e.g. during non-interactive install.

Postfix records all installation settings in main.cf even if they
are at their built-in defaults. That is because defaults change
over time, and I don't want things to break when people upgrade to
a newer release. Thank you for not blowing away existing config
files. You're expected to run "postfix upgrade-configuration"
instead.

As for shlib_dir in main.cf:

shlib_dir not only specifies at BUILD time the location for
libpostfix-*, information that the runtime linker needs to use to
start a Postfix program, before any Postfix program can look up
settings in main.cf.

shlib_dir also specifies at RUN time the location of dynamically-loaded
database clients (ldap, mysql, pgsql, etc.). Postfix programs look
up this setting from main.cf, and therefore this location may be
changed after Postfix is built.

You mention the PORTING document. It likely needs updating, as it
was last updated in 2004, about 10 years before I adopted support
for dynamic linking in Postfix 3.0.