Maxim Nikulin:
> Sorry, I narrowed down context too much, My question was on
> shlib_directory, so I assumed that "..." is a proper substitution
> for all other variables. By the way, I noticed that queue_directory
> and data_directory are passed to "make non-interactive-package"
> but not to "postfix upgrade-configuration" (and shlib_directory too).

Some overrides make sense only on a first-time install, but not
when updating an existing installation. For example, an update
should not change the location of queue, config or data files.

> of shared libraries. If shlib_directory were absent in main.cf
> and all programs were getting the value from postconf instead of
> reading main.cf directly than package upgrades would be smooth.
> Such way is not viable since there are installations
> with explicit shlib_directory across the world.

There is no such thing as 'getting the value from postconf instead
of reading main.cf', because the postconf command reads main.cf.

> So the only way is to force updating the setting to built-in
> value from new package version (and no possibility to customize
> shlib_directory on particular server if postfix is installed
> from a package). Commenting out the line in the post install script
> could be an alternative.
>
> To summarize, I am considering adapting of the following to
> particular packaging system
>
>     # post-install stage (clean install or upgrade)
>     %{_sbindir}/postfix set-permissions upgrade-configuration \
>         shlib_directory=%{postfix_shlib_dir} \
>         daemon_directory=%{postfix_daemon_dir} \
>         # More parameters...

If possible do not mix new installs and updates. In particular,
with updates one would not expect to change the location of queue,
config, and data files.