On December 15, 2014 at 7:51:58 AM, John Bollinger (john.bollin...@stjude.org)
wrote:

This then switches the burden to them to keep up with security and bugfix
issues in the Rubies and gems they bundle, but frankly I have a greater belief
that PL will manage to do this successfully - in aggregate - than the
distributions and hand-rolled gemsets that people are using now.

And that's a large reason why I don't think it's a particularly wise business
decision to provide AIO packages: the fewer CVEs have Puppet's name on them,
the better.  But that's really beside the point, which is not so much about PL
offering AIO packages as about future Puppet being dependent on AIO form, and
on a particular AIO form at that.  I don't have to use PL's packages, but I do
have to deal with Puppet's built-in requirements and limitations, and to
reconcile those with my system management policies and practices.

As an armchair IP quarterback, I'd also be concerned that if Puppet works only
in AIO form then it will be the AIO form that must then be considered "Puppet".
 The AIO will incorporate a great deal of IP that does not belong to PL.  In
the past, PL has preferred a conservative approach to IP, so I'll suppose that
either this isn't an issue of genuine concern or that PL has not considered it.
Without speaking for PL, I’d suspect that’s *exactly* how they’d like users to
see it, as with Omnibus packaging. You get Puppet, and Puppet can assist in
troubleshooting for Puppet only as delivered.

Don’t get me wrong John - I totally agree that having proper paths and
improving coding discipline so that the project is properly composable is not
only the right thing, I’ve been irritated in ways you can’t even imagine by the
fact that it’s not. But the reality is that this is the state the codebase is
in and it’s a project we’ve all invested a lot of time in…I’m hoping PL’s
engineering team is putting hard thought into the amount of hard-coded paths
and infrastructure assumptions that are made in the code, but for right here
and right now, I’m not sure there’s a better fix.

--
Eric Shamow
Sent with Airmail