On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:00:14 PM UTC-6, Jeff McCune wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM, John Bollinger <john.bo...@stjude.org
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Additionally, avoiding hardcoded paths and avoiding the assumption that
>> Puppet has a private Ruby to play around in will be helpful (and wise in
>> any case).
>>

> If the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior then our
> components will make assumptions about hardcoded paths and the location of
> specific dependencies like Ruby, Java, etc...  I don't think it's possible
> to avoid this outcome given the number of people and teams working on the
> various projects and the desire to reduce the complexity of the system.

I don't accept that it's impossible, but I would believe that it would
require effort, resources, and discipline that PL is unwilling to invest.
I think you are making a poor decision, at least from a design perspective,
but it's your call to make.

> Do you have a sense of how much impact this will be on you John?

If I cannot install Puppet into a Ruby installation of my choice (of
sufficiently recent version) and have it work correctly, or if its
installation alters the behavior of other software relying on that Ruby,
then I do not foresee updating until I or someone else can fix those
problems.  I am unlikely to be able to devote any effort to such an
endeavor any time soon, so my adoption of the new version would be
forestalled indefinitely.

John