> > Yes, absolutely. I would like to know if anyone else has successfully
> > compiled and test it.
>
> Well, having finally gotten SuSE 10.0 onto my laptop and the 100GB
> drive (which freed up the 80GB to go in the external chassis), I'm
> about to start ripping my 400 disc library -- which includes a lot of
> brands, though only a couple Sound Choice and Music Maestro discs -- so
> I guess I can A/B compare them, and see what I get.  Even a 10% speedup
> is worth it on 400 discs.  :-)

I'm pretty sure you'll see a speed increase. As far as ripping all 400
disks my code is missing some important features that cdgrip.py has. The
main ones are the track name lookups and the ability to use lame instead
of oggenc.

> > > My drive returns the data interleaved, so I've only ever tested rw_raw
> > > mode (using the software-deinterleave) hence the note of caution in the
> > > instructions for rw mode. My thinking was that the data returned in rw
> > > mode would need nothing doing to it at all, it could be written straight
> > > out to the CDG file as it came from the CD drive. Have you found this
> > > not to be the case? Could it be that the drives concerned don't support
> > > rw mode?
> >
> > This is exactly what I believed. I basically used what cdgrip does as my
> > guide and wrote an equivalent in C. I tested it on a disk image from one
> > of my drives. cdrdao reports that the drive I used can return RW info so
> > I ripped a cdg disk in RW mode and then tried to split the image into
> > audio and cdg files.
> >
> > Aside: With most of the drives I tried cdrdao reported that they could
> > not extract in RW mode only RW_RAW and when I tried to extract in RW
> > mode cdrdao failed without extracting anything, with a message about the
> > drive not supporting RW. The one drive that did work claims to be able
> > to extract RW and RW_RAW.
>
> I may have to buy a drive; I'm almost certain the DVD-ROM in my Compaq
> laptop (which is a Toshiba) will *not* reliably read subcode: CDRWIN
> professes itself unable to read CD+G's with it.
>
> Do we still like the Plextors best?  I can't burn CD+G's or DVD's
> either at the moment, so a USB external seems the solution.

Not sure about your drive but I have seen drives that won't read subcode
in windows with CDRWin but will work under linux with cdrdao.

> Has anyone looked into cdparanoia?

I couldn't find an option for ripping with subcode but I didn't look
that closely.

Drew