On 6/25/06, Jay R. Ashworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 06:46:05PM +0100, Drew wrote:
> > Well, having finally gotten SuSE 10.0 onto my laptop and the 100GB
> > drive (which freed up the 80GB to go in the external chassis), I'm
> > about to start ripping my 400 disc library -- which includes a lot of
> > brands, though only a couple Sound Choice and Music Maestro discs -- so
> > I guess I can A/B compare them, and see what I get.  Even a 10% speedup
> > is worth it on 400 discs.  :-)
>
> I'm pretty sure you'll see a speed increase. As far as ripping all 400
> disks my code is missing some important features that cdgrip.py has. The
> main ones are the track name lookups and the ability to use lame instead
> of oggenc.

Ah.  Well, ogg is fine with me, as long as the player will track it.
FreeDB is a bit more important -- you'd be surprised how many karaoke
CDGs are actually in there.

I feel the need to chime in here and say Ogg Vorbis is *very* important here, especially when ripping a bigger collection. There's logistic, performance, and legal reasons why Ogg Vorbis is the appropriate format for compressed audio at a karaoke show.

Some of this is anecdotal for me, since I've done it myself and have seen these benefits, but I haven't actually done a "laboratory-style" suite of tests to prove these things. Though some of it is pretty damned easy to demonstrate anyway.

1) Same sound quality (or better) -- Ogg Vorbis does a great job compressing music; of course this is subjective but Oggs always sound either indistiguishable from the same music compressed by MP3 or perceptively better.

2) Better compression ratios -- Oggs end up smaller than MP3s for the "equivalent" compression settings; i.e. if it sounds the same as an MP3, it'll be smaller as an Ogg, and if an Ogg the same size as an equivalent MP3, it will have fewer artifacts and generally sound better.

3) Faster compression/decompression -- On my 64-bit (AMD Athlon 64) notebook, Ogg encoding can sometimes run almost twice as fast as equivalent MP3 encoding. It's such a huge performance improvement that when I put a pile of Oggs together to re-convert back to MP3 to burn to a CD my truck's MP3-capable (but not Ogg-capable, dammit) player can grok, I'm disappointed that it takes more time to actually convert the files than it does to write the physical disc.

4) Royalty/patent free -- I know it's mostly an "academic" issue since MP3's patent holders haven't apparently been complete bastards about it, I don't have to worry at all that some lawyer or cop will walk in during one of my shows and shut me down for not paying a licensing fee to use a patented audio decoder. Same with releasing software that uses it; my understanding is that the MP3 folks *do* raise an eyebrow occasionally on players if those players generate revenue for their builders/authors.

I haven't made empirical comparisons for the rest of this but I suspect Ogg's tags can hold more data (they can be longer than ID3 tags), I know players seem better-behaved (xmms is definitely faster/more cooperative playing Oggs than it is playing MP3s, at least on both my systems), etc.

And let me tell you this: on a song collection exceeding 40,000 songs, pushing 150GB, converting from MP3 (I kept the originals, don't panic) to Ogg Vorbis dropped the collection down to 110GB and sounds just as good.

> > Has anyone looked into cdparanoia?
>
> I couldn't find an option for ripping with subcode but I didn't look
> that closely.

Amusingly, googling for cdparanoia subcode turns up...

me and Will, talking about whether it will do it or not.  :-)

That's hilarious. I'd really love to find a way to either play CDG straight from a CD or be able to rip just one track (during a show, it'll be a pain in the ass if someone brings their own disc to play but doesn't hand it to me until it's their turn to sing ... "yeah, it'll be about ten minutes before you can sing this because my computer has to read the whole disc first")

--
Looking for something to read? Visit http://willfe.com/ ... it's easy, safe, and fun for the whole family!