On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 06:46:05PM +0100, Drew wrote:
> > Well, having finally gotten SuSE 10.0 onto my laptop and the 100GB
> > drive (which freed up the 80GB to go in the external chassis), I'm
> > about to start ripping my 400 disc library -- which includes a lot of
> > brands, though only a couple Sound Choice and Music Maestro discs -- so
> > I guess I can A/B compare them, and see what I get.  Even a 10% speedup
> > is worth it on 400 discs.  :-)
>
> I'm pretty sure you'll see a speed increase. As far as ripping all 400
> disks my code is missing some important features that cdgrip.py has. The
> main ones are the track name lookups and the ability to use lame instead
> of oggenc.

Ah.  Well, ogg is fine with me, as long as the player will track it.
FreeDB is a bit more important -- you'd be surprised how many karaoke
CDGs are actually in there.

> > I may have to buy a drive; I'm almost certain the DVD-ROM in my Compaq
> > laptop (which is a Toshiba) will *not* reliably read subcode: CDRWIN
> > professes itself unable to read CD+G's with it.
> >
> > Do we still like the Plextors best?  I can't burn CD+G's or DVD's
> > either at the moment, so a USB external seems the solution.
>
> Not sure about your drive but I have seen drives that won't read subcode
> in windows with CDRWin but will work under linux with cdrdao.

I'm going ot test it.

> > Has anyone looked into cdparanoia?
>
> I couldn't find an option for ripping with subcode but I didn't look
> that closely.

Amusingly, googling for cdparanoia subcode turns up...

me and Will, talking about whether it will do it or not.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]