On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 02:27:11PM -0400, William Ferrell wrote:
>      Ah.  Well, ogg is fine with me, as long as the player will track it.
>      FreeDB is a bit more important -- you'd be surprised how many karaoke
>      CDGs are actually in there.
>
>    I feel the need to chime in here and say Ogg Vorbis is *very* important
>    here, especially when ripping a bigger collection. There's logistic,
>    performance, and legal reasons why Ogg Vorbis is the appropriate format for
>    compressed audio at a karaoke show.

Indeed.

>    1) Same sound quality (or better) -- Ogg Vorbis does a great job
>    compressing music; of course this is subjective but Oggs always
>    sound either indistiguishable from the same music compressed by MP3
>    or perceptively better.

That's good to, um, hear.  :-)

>    2) Better compression ratios -- Oggs end up smaller than MP3s for the
>    "equivalent" compression settings; i.e. if it sounds the same as an MP3,
>    it'll be smaller as an Ogg, and if an Ogg the same size as an equivalent
>    MP3, it will have fewer artifacts and generally sound better.

Important when you're squishing 400 discs...

>    3) Faster compression/decompression -- On my 64-bit (AMD Athlon 64)
>    notebook, Ogg encoding can sometimes run almost twice as fast as equivalent
>    MP3 encoding. It's such a huge performance improvement that when I put a
>    pile of Oggs together to re-convert back to MP3 to burn to a CD my truck's
>    MP3-capable (but not Ogg-capable, dammit) player can grok, I'm disappointed
>    that it takes more time to actually convert the files than it does to write
>    the physical disc.

Hee.

I hadn't realized this was true, and I'm quite happy to hear it.

>    4) Royalty/patent free -- I know it's mostly an "academic" issue
>    since MP3's patent holders haven't apparently been complete
>    bastards about it, I don't have to worry at all that some lawyer
>    or cop will walk in during one of my shows and shut me down for
>    not paying a licensing fee to use a patented audio decoder. Same
>    with releasing software that uses it; my understanding is that the
>    MP3 folks *do* raise an eyebrow occasionally on players if those
>    players generate revenue for their builders/authors.

Hmmm...

>    I haven't made empirical comparisons for the rest of this but I suspect
>    Ogg's tags can hold more data (they can be longer than ID3 tags), I know
>    players seem better-behaved (xmms is definitely faster/more cooperative
>    playing Oggs than it is playing MP3s, at least on both my systems), etc.

Is it really?  You mean, like, skipping and stuff?

>    And let me tell you this: on a song collection exceeding 40,000 songs,
>    pushing 150GB, converting from MP3 (I kept the originals, don't panic) to
>    Ogg Vorbis dropped the collection down to 110GB and sounds just as good.

Yum.  But note, too, that they pointout you're better off (much better,
I'm told) re-ripping the originals to Ogg than converting.

>      > > Has anyone looked into cdparanoia?
>      >
>      > I couldn't find an option for ripping with subcode but I didn't look
>      > that closely.
>      Amusingly, googling for cdparanoia subcode turns up...
>      me and Will, talking about whether it will do it or not.  :-)
>
>    That's hilarious. I'd really love to find a way to either play CDG
>    straight from a CD or be able to rip just one track (during a show,
>    it'll be a pain in the ass if someone brings their own disc to play
>    but doesn't hand it to me until it's their turn to sing ... "yeah,
>    it'll be about ten minutes before you can sing this because my
>    computer has to read the whole disc first")

Well, it's often about 10 minutes anyway, isn't it?

Most of our ringers hand in the disc *as* their request slip, round
here.  And you should always have a "real" player and at least a couple
dozen assorted discs as a backup anyway, so...

Yeah, I know; I'm one of those old-fashioned "has a mixer" guys...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]