On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 5:21 AM Petr Viktorin <encu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Steering Council would like to switch from python-dev to
> discuss.python.org.

This seems like a net win for the community so +1 from me.  (For me
personally it amounts to disruption with little advantage, so I'd
probably be -0).  However, I am not python-dev and discuss.python.org
is probably a better fit for most of the participants.)

(Message threading on discuss.python.org feels like a step backward in
usability though.  This is especially true with long threads, support
for which (I expect) Discourse has not prioritized.)

My only real concern is one I've brought up before when we started
splitting discussions onto DPO (discuss.python.org), as well as with
the GitHub issues migration: message archives.

I consider the ability to search message archives to be essential to
effective contribution, both in attracting/integrating new
contributors and in providing "offline" context for active
contributors.  The existing archives have aided me personally so many
times in both ways.

There are relevant three aspects to archival and search that are worth
asking about here:

1. search functionality on the [archive] web site
2. ability to search using other tools (e.g. my favorite: Google
search with "site:...")
3. single archive vs. split archive

Regarding (1), currently it is relatively easy to search through
message archives on https://mail.python.org/archives/list/....  The
DPO UI search functionality seems fine.

Regarding (2), currently it's easy to search using other tools and the
results are clean (not noisy).  With DPO, is that possible?  (A quick
attempt was a complete failure.)  Would the results be good enough?
Would they be noisier?

Regarding (3), it's a small thing but, IMHO, having a single archive
is valuable.  Most notably (for me, at least), with a split archive it
becomes a little harder to make sure searches covered the full message
history of a given channel.

It would be nice if at least one of the sites could preserve *all* the
history.  In the case of python-dev, either we'd forward all relevant
DPO messages to python-dev@python.org (or otherwise directly send them
to https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org) or
we'd import the archived mailing list into DPO.  Or maybe it would
require more work than it would be worth?

> - You can use discuss.python.org's “mailing list mode” (which subscribes
> you to all new posts), possibly with filtering and/or categorizing
> messages locally.

FWIW, I've been using mailing list mode (for consumption) since we
started discuss.python.org and it's been fine.  I've hit a
couple[1][2] minor annoyances, but overall I don't have any real
complaints.  Mailing list mode is straightforward to configure, the
messages have a "mailing list" header set (for easy filtering), and
jumping over to the web UI to start a thread, respond (or react) is
trivial.

-eric

[1] My mobile email notifications format the messages weird.
[2] The messages are significantly noisier than regular (text) email.