Eric Snow writes:

 > I consider the ability to search message archives to be essential to
 > effective contribution[.]

+1

 > There are relevant three aspects to archival and search that are worth
 > asking about here:
 >
 > 1. search functionality on the [archive] web site
 > 2. ability to search using other tools (e.g. my favorite: Google
 > search with "site:...")
 > 3. single archive vs. split archive

I can't speak to 1 and 2, and I can't speak to cost of resource usage
for 3, but it would be possible to have a Mailman list that has no
subscribers, prohibits subscription, and allows only a small number of
authorized posters, one of which would be the Discourse mail feed.  As
long as Discourse provides the In-Reply-To header field, the current
threading algorithm would work reasonably well.  I guess we would also
want to disable replies in HyperKitty (maybe that's already a
consequence of "no subscribers"?)  I don't know how hard that would
be.

Steve