On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:25:52AM +0400, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer wrote:

> > How would this work in practice? After a PEP is accepted, are we
> > supposed to go back through all the references to it and change them all
> > to PAP? Do we expect people to search for "PAP 12345" and "PEP 12345" if
> > they are unsure whether it is accepted or not?
>

> For future PEPs. People have to remember that after PEP x you have PEPs and
> 'PAP's

No, for future PEPs you will still have to look for "PEP x" as well,
because they won't be created in the accepted state. So there will be
discussion of the PEP under "PEP". Most of the discussion will be
prior to acceptance, so most references will be under "PEP" and
hardly anything under "PAP".

> > Personally, I don't think that encoding the acceptance status in
> > the ID
> > is very useful. There's so much more about the PEP that doesn't get
> > encoded in the ID, like *what it is about*. For example, if somebody
> > mentioned PEP 450, or PAP 450, to me, I would have no clue what it was,
> > and I wrote it! (I had to look it up to see what the number was.)
> >

> That's why the references exist, so that you look the details up. But
> knowing
> at a glance the status of a PEP immediately changes the perception of the
> text at hand

Once you look it up, you can tell the status at a glance because it is
right there at the top of the PEP with the other headers.

If you don't look it up, knowing that it is accepted doesn't tell you
much. Why would I care that PEP 12345 is accepted, if I don't know what
PEP 12345 is about?

> > I would expect that, if you know the context of the discussion and the
> > nature of the PEP, anyone with a good knowledge of Python should be able
> > to make a good guess of whether it was accepted or not.
>

> I quote the first mail:
>
> > ... you need to be a PEP historian

Not always. You often just need to know Python.

Surely you can tell the difference between features that are in the
existing language like nested scopes, the walrus operator, or the
secrets module, and features that aren't, like the directive operator,
the list.uniq method, and int for loops, without looking them up?

In my opinion, "accepted versus not accepted" is one of the least
important and least informative parts of a PEP.

> There are no PEPs as ' is probably accepted.', the status is enumerated
> above

I know that "probably accepted" is not a status, it is a judgement or
prediction of what the status is without needing to either look it up or
be a historian of PEPs.