>> I mean things like ".." and "\" (root directory) of DOS.
> Yes!!

Ok, so at least one likes my idea :-)

Two, I hope?
Three now, I like the idea of having '..' etc too!

>> Shouldn't we just decide on a "suggested value" now instead of >> making
>> it dynamic (things like configuration options can't be dynamic
>> anyway)? Windows has a max path length of 260 characters for >> example
>> (UNC names can actually be longer, but hardly anybody uses them >> for
>> local files).
> As long as it is a "reasonable" limit.

Sure. What's reasonable for you?

How about using the same as the enhanced ISO9660 standard (Joliet)? That
might be one complication less.
Then one day should we ever have CD writing it'll be in place and ready!