On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 11:35 +0100, Neil Riley wrote:
> I seem to remember these items appearing originally. Are they still used
> today or are they museum pieces?

They were very slow (remember the QL serial port is only capable of 19K
and only reliable for reception at 9K!) To get 56K you would need to
upgrade your QL with a SuperHermes (£53 new from Tony Firshman). Then
you could use a conventional serial modem, which are still made: I have
one with my PC (£30 new). No broadband, though!

Jon Dent's soQL-PPP has got as far as giving email access, but not (yet)
web access. When (if?) the latter comes, there's already a QL version of
Lynx for browsing.

Until then, the only way to browse the web on a QL seems to be by
finding a secondhand copy of the MSDOS emulator, PC Conqueror, and
running Arachne (graphical) or Bobcat (text).

However, I remember that the Minix operating system was ported to the
QL, which should be faster than a DOS emulator. If you could get that, I
assume it would be possible to compile and run a Linux/Unix version of
Lynx.