On  Mon, 10 Jun 2002 at 18:30:50, Timothy Swenson wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>I kind of jumped in the middle of this thread before I really read any
>of the messages, so I'm sort of guessing a bit about the on going
>conversation.  I'm assuming that part of the discussion is about the
>lack of new programs coming out for the QL, esp. commercial ones.
>
>One thing that I find that I like about the QL is that the software
>that I've been using for almost 15 years is still useable.  I still
>find Quill to be a useful word processor, esp. since the Xchange
>version is freeware and the command set is now engrained into my
>fingers.
Indeed yes.  I often use Quill - because it is perfect for writing a
simple text letter, which is often all one needs to do.
Sarah (my wife) uses it exclusively (but on a PC (8-(# )
> Software in the QL community has a much longer life than the Windows
>world, where using a program 2 years out-of-date is considered a sin.
OK one gets vast number of features, but what percentage of them does
one actually use regularly?

The problem with upgrading all the time is that the new versions
implement things differently, and have horrendous bugs.

I very much like JH programs - qtpi and qfax.  QFAX in particular simply
works.  I have used it 24hrs for longer than I care to recall, and have
not had one problem due to QFAX itself.

There is a real virtue in simplicity from time to time.

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
  tony@<surname>.demon.co.uk  http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk