On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 01:18:33PM +1100, Mark Delany wrote:
> >Is the inode just a handy unique number?  Or are there file access
> >speed tricks, e.g. opening files directly using inode.
>
> Handy unique filename. Vastly superior to tmpnam() and all the lame
> variants that go with it.
>
> It's not for speed - excepting speed of creating a unique filename.

I seem to recall the inode numbers biting people who were copying
filesystems (backups, changing disks).  If your assertions are
correct, wouln't it make some sense to come up with some other
cheap unique filename?

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Current daytime number: (603)-434-6842