- [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

| Then I remembered that qmail-queue is a long-running daemon and so
| will have the same pid for long periods of time.

You are confused.  qmail-queue runs once per injected message.  Its
pid is reported, for example by qmail-smtpd as qp:

  ok 915060448 qp 17770

qmail-send also prints this information for the log.

Provided the clock is never set back, and the pid counter cannot
repeat within one second, the combination of these two numbers
(timestamp and qp) would generate a suitable unique identifier.

The advantage of using the inode number is twofold: It's shorter (fits
in 32 bits), and it works even without the above two preconditions.

This discussion isn't all that interesting anyhow; I can hardly
imagine Dan bothering to change this in qmail 1.x, and qmail 2 will
have a totally different queue structure anyway, so the point is moot.

- Harald