At 03:00 PM 2/17/99 +0100, Peter van Dijk wrote:
>> I often wondered why Dan chose to do queue filenames by inode, but use
>> timestamp-pid-host for creating unique filenames within a maildir.  Then I
>> remembered that qmail-queue is a long-running daemon and so will have the
>> same pid for long periods of time.  It seems that there ought to be

No, qmail-queue is not a long running daemon. It runs every time it is
called by qmail-inject.

But you certainly have a point, condidering that qmail-queue does exactely
what you suggest:

qmail-queue creates a temporary file named timestamp-pid-sequence in the
pid directory, then gets the inode number and uses it as a unique name (if
I'm not mistaken).

So why does it have to change the name to an inode number instead of using
the original name (guaranteed to be unique too)? Maybe to have a 32 bit
wide number in a consistent manner?

David.