On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Mark Delany wrote:
   > At 02:26 AM 2/17/99 -0500, Brian Reichert wrote:
   > >I seem to recall the inode numbers biting people who were copying
   > >filesystems (backups, changing disks).  If your assertions are
   > >correct, wouln't it make some sense to come up with some other
   > >cheap unique filename?
   [...]
   > An alternative to your suggestion is to alert people to this dependency and
   > write a few tools/scripts to assist on those rare occassions that people need
   > to migrate or restore.

   I've run into this problem in the past. One visit to the qmail home page,
   search on "queue", and I found queue-fix. It does exactly what Mark is
   describing above (in addition it saves the mail admin's butt). One more
   reason I'm thoroughly happy with qmail...

As for saving sysadms butt: the program Ghost can back up block by
block a whole harddisk.  Then you can reghost the whole thing to a
harddisk of the same size.  I know this is not the best solution, but
if you have serious mail traffic, you might have qmail on a separate
disk...

This works really well for us here.

Mate