To help discussion:

-x-
How do I keep a copy of all incoming and outgoing mail messages?
Answer: Set QUEUE_EXTRA to "Tlog\0" and QUEUE_EXTRALEN to 5 in extra.h.
Recompile qmail. Put ./msg-log into ~alias/.qmail-log.

You can also use QUEUE_EXTRA to, e.g., record the Message-ID of every
message: run

     | awk '/^$/ { exit } /^[mM][eE][sS][sS][aA][gG][eE]-/ { print }'

from ~alias/.qmail-log.
-x-

This cannot be considered a good FAQ answer for beginners (and pointing that
out in the FAQ itself would be nice).  grep'ing for QUEUE_EXTRA in the
sources only gives:

-x-
BLURB3:*  optional logging of one-way hashes, entire contents, etc.
(QUEUE_EXTRA)
CHANGES:19961202 change: added FAQ entry on QUEUE_EXTRA.
CHANGES:19961129 change: added QUEUE_EXTRA, QUEUE_EXTRALEN.
extra.h:#define QUEUE_EXTRA ""
extra.h:#define QUEUE_EXTRALEN 0
FAQ:Answer: Set QUEUE_EXTRA to "Tlog\0" and QUEUE_EXTRALEN to 5 in extra.h.
FAQ:You can also use QUEUE_EXTRA to, e.g., record the Message-ID of every
qmail-queue.c: if (substdio_bput(&ssout,QUEUE_EXTRA,QUEUE_EXTRALEN) == -1)
die_write();
THOUGHTS:contents of the message? With QUEUE_EXTRA it'd be possible to
record a
-x-

Considering the only source references to it are extra.h's defining (or not)
of their values and qmail-queue's "write to this", anyone not wanting to
figure out qmail by the sources (which honestly, should not be necessary to
_use_ it) will not figure out how to use QMAIL_EXTRA or what it
accomplishes.

What happens, from my understanding, is this delivers the message not only
to the intended recipient, but also to whoever/whatever is specified in the
~alias/.qmail-log file.

Read up on aliases and once you understand how qmail deals with aliases,
you'll (maybe) 'get' what is happening here.

And yes, you would be able to configure that a user receive all the
deliveries of those messages.