On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:20:49AM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>  > This cannot be considered a good FAQ answer for beginners (and pointing that
>  > out in the FAQ itself would be nice).  grep'ing for QUEUE_EXTRA in the
>  > sources only gives:
>
> Nothing about qmail is really suitable for beginners.  Being sysadmin
> on a unix box is not for beginners, let alone changing out important
> pieces of system software.  And it can't be made suitable for
> beginners without also making it much less useful.
>
> Alternatively, somebody could write a book that explained everything
> an average windows user needs to become a competent sysadmin.  Problem
> is, it would be a *big* book, and take quite a while to read
> (understatement) and, even more, to understand.

And who would read it? The same people who don't even read the FAQ?

Although it's late in the day, I wonder whether we could write a charter
for this list and add it to www.qmail.org and/or get Dan to change
list.cr.yp.to to send out a link on subscription confirmation.  At least
then we could simply point people back to the charter.

It might have, eg:

1.      You must read the FAQ
2.      You must be able to administer an MTA or have the wherewithall to
        learn how to administer an MTA
3.      You must have read LWQ
4.      You must have shown us the results of your search of the archives
5.      If you are unable, unwilling or philosophically opposed to doing 1-4,
        the list is obliged to directed you to the commercial support offered
        via www.qmail.org

Regards.