On 8/10/20 5:22 PM, Toptin wrote:
Chris Laprise:
On 8/10/20 12:30 PM, Toptin wrote:
Jeff Kayser:
Here is one reason to use Fedora.

https://www.fossmint.com/which-linux-distribution-does-linus-torvalds-use/

Ah, see... Mr Torvalds is your God. That isn't a reason at all. But
thanks you put a smile on my face.

~Jeff Kayser

-----Original Message-----
From: qubes-users@googlegroups.com <qubes-users@googlegroups.com> On
Behalf Of Chris Laprise
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 9:18 AM
To: qubes-users@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [qubes-users] Why Fedora?

This email originated from outside the organization

On 8/10/20 12:05 PM, Toptin wrote:
Dear Qubes Users,

I'm currently digging my way through the exceptional good Qubes
documentation. Everything is nicely explained as to why a certain
decision / implementation was made, except for the use of Fedora as
main distribution.

I wonder what's the rationale of that decision; Fedora 25 isn't even
supported anymore. No offense or critic intended, just curiosity.

Regards, toptin.

I think the subtext here is that Fedora gets the changes first and it
makes a good development environment (for Linux code anyway). But that's
also why they don't curate or test or secure it like a regular
production-ready OS. And also why they don't care about having a wide
array of apps.

I'd rather see a transition to something more stable like Debian which
is also flexible enough to let you pull in newer packages from a tiered
repository (stable, testing, unstable, and experimental).

That was my thinking too, but still as mentioned in my previous post I
would have thought something like Arch-Linux or even Gentoo would be
better choice because both distribution are actually meta-distributions
(a distribution to build a target distribution). I worked with both and
wouldn't recommend it to an end-user but for development to build
something like Qubes? Yes, I would consider that.

Nothing against Debian. Definitely not. Very trustworthy and
knowledgeable community, but still quite a big system, especially if one
wants to strip it down. And then those unfortunate version upgrades. But
once it's installed it's rock solid.

I don't know if bare-minimum really signifies, at least with the way most people define it. A lot of the things you would remove to reduce attack surface won't make a big impact on the install's disk space usage. Compounding that is Qubes being a PC operating system after all, and I've found just about the only DE that gets all the GUI and HID stuff working correctly is big ol KDE. For most users, XFCE is suitable for already mired-in-Linux users who are conditioned to accept broken or absent UI features.

OTOH if its the klocs themselves that are seen as a threat (enabling attacks from upstream) then that's a tough spot bc very low kloc IMO is a recipe for bad UI w too many missing features that make users feel paralyzed. At the end of the day these are still computers and their job is to manage complexity and _that_ requires lots of vertical integration.

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket