I too just completed my battery and have it charging. As the previous
poster mentioned, the wiring diagram is WRONG, but the text is correct.
The batteries must be connected positive to negative to positive, etc,
e.g. in series. The other thing I found confusing was the pin assignment
diagram for the connector. It was not clear if the perspective was from
the front or back of the connector. After trial and error, I discovered
it was from the back. So, pin 1 is the upper left pin looking from the
back (the side with large square holes) with the connector notches
pointing upwards.

--
induna