baldbear;516858 Wrote:
> I put together my battery today (both the 10 pack pre-made pack and the
> kit came in the mail.
>

> First of the link to my battery pack
> http://www.all-battery.com/12v2000mahnimhbatterypack11606.aspx says it
> is 2000 mah when it's really 2300 (it is EXACTLY as pictured). I took
> the clear (logo) shrink wrap off the battery pack, then split the black
> shrink wrap between the batteries off the top. All the battery
> connectors are covered with an adhesive cardboard strip, so I pealed it
> back and soldered on 3 wires (and slipped that NTC in the middle, (the
> batteries are hooked together but there is plenty of space).
>
> Now for the gotchas, the instructions are WRONG. The diagram for
> soldering the batteries together (which I didn't have to do because I
> bought a pack), show that you put - to - and + to + which will short out
> your batteries, but the instructions (written), tell you to put the
> whole set of batteries + to - ( positive to negative, kind of making one
> big battery).
>
> When you put the leads into the connector the diagram is not obvious
> that they should go into the BACK (the bigger holes) of the connector
> (it is very difficult to get them in without each touching the next, I
> separated them with electric tape). I had the whole thing backwards at
> first and the SQUEEZEBOX reported that the batteries were overhot (I
> would guess so since it said over 7,000 Degrees C!)
>
> Since I only split the black wrap, I pushed it back on (I should have
> taped it but wanted it to work first.)
>
> The pack slips into the bottom of the box very easily, (with at least a
> 1/2 inch of space, so I packed it a little so it won't move around in
> the radio).
>
> The kit is shipped in a plain white business envelope, kind of risky
> because it could be crushed, but then there really isn't much to break.
> Oh and he gives you essentially 2 sets of connectors which is nice if
> you screw it up, (only one temp sensor though).
> Charging it up right now.

I'm a bit confused by the comments.  I would have expected you would
only have had to connect the existing positive and negative taps on the
battery pack as well as the temperature sensor leads to the wiring
connector.  It sounds like you also had to wire additional leads from
the batteries to either the connector or the temp sensor?

I'm hoping that someone will do a bit better step by step directions on
this along with photos.  I'm pretty close to just ordering the parts and
taking a stab at it and if I do I will be doing a full instruction post
that the layman can follow.

I don't need the remote, so if I can build this for $35 or so then it's
worth the savings over getting the official one which appears as though
it is never going to ship.

--
jmpage2