It has been several years since I rode a bike with upright bar; I think it
was a pristine Schwinn Collegiate, that I wish I'd kept. At any rate, I
think uprights work well on bikes with geometry suited for them, but, at
least for me, feel awkward on bikes designed for drop bars. I've so
converted a few drop bar bikes in my day, and this sensation has been
pretty consistent -- as with drop bars themselves set up much higher than
saddle.

Bars too high always feel "tippy" and awkward, and I feel as if I can't
generate torque. That's why even with North Road or "Priest" bars on bikes
converted from drops, I tend to position the bar low -- thus negating what
is probably much of the benefit.

IME, at least on certain bikes, a certain minimum forward body angle is
necessary for the bike to feel right. I know that even on my Rivs, with
drops ~ 3 cm below saddle, moving into the hooks gives a sensation (at
least) of a bit of additional torque.

But I expect that installing Albatrosses on, say, a DL-1 (if you could do
it; there were brake mod kits that allowed this, using bowden cables
between levers and stirrups) would be a huge improvement. And again, the
Collegiate, to my recollection, felt fine with the stock "tourist" bar.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:48 PM, Tony DeFilippo <vpi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just gone the other direction with my Saluki, albatross to noodles.
> I've played with both bars before and I'm sure I will again.
>
> Neither are perfect, in really enjoying the noodles right now and feel
> like I've got them dialed in correctly except for not enough brake power
> but the biggest difference is probably psychological.
>
> For whatever reason I just feel faster with the drops than without.  I've
> got plenty of Strava records to show the difference to be negligible if
> there at all but it definitely is there in my head.  The extra hand
> positions and looks have new sticking with the noodles for right now.

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle