I've been home roasting for years and years.
Even in the Bay Area where I live, there is no coffee available that is as good
as what I can roast in 7 minutes in my kitchen.
Benefits, fresher coffee
Lower expense, about half the cost of buying roasted coffee
Ups drops green beans at the door
Green coffee stays fresh for months but after about six months, some of the
nuances can degrade a bit but it's still very good
I'm able to drink something different every couple days
High quality coffee and lots of varietals available.
Nuanced coffee like you probably have not tasted before. Coffee has about twice
the flavonoids of wine.
Ability to control your roast profile and tailor your roasts to your specific
tastes.
Super simple
Takes less time to roast coffee than to go buy it.
Plenty more pluses

Negatives?
I haven't really found any.
I usually keep about two days ahead on my roasting so the coffee has a chance
to rest and the oils settle.
Some types benefit from a longer rest but two days is a good ballpark.

A little smokey but I just open the window over the sink.
Chat makes a little mess but I let it blow into the sink and it takes ten-
fifteen seconds to pick up.

It's far easier than most people expect and you really don't need to overthink
it.

It's just like cooking, don't waste your money on a bunch of gadgets, just play
attention, decide how dark or light you prefer your brew and roast accordingly.

I'm happy to talk with you privately.

Cheers,
Ray