Roberta, it's for seating the tire. I had some tubeless tires on wheels not on
a bike (the SimWorks tires we briefly discussed) and I made the lame mistake of
letting them go flat from non use. I couldn't get them seated again with my
floor pump to save my life. Which connects to you next question...

They need to be checked every other day or so, especially if you run the lower
pressures they allow. I'm used to checking tubed tires once a week.

Conclusion: If you get them seated and pumped up from James and stay on it,
you're good with tubeless tires.