Kushan: Any idea why you were slower on the CF bike, which I assume was
lighter than any Rivendell model?

I realize that the factors making one bike slower or faster than another,
let alone those affecting comfort, are hugely varied, but it's certainly a
topic that interests me, since several of the fastest* bikes I've ridden
were among the heavier ones.

*Repeated ease of pushing a higher gear in the same conditions.